OSX 10.4.8 on a normal Intel/AMD computer

posted on February 7th, 2007

Note:
I wrote this guide because I get around 10 e-mails a week with people asking if it’s possible to get a clean OSX only installation. This guide covers every single detail about installing OSX 10.4.8 on a regular Intel/AMD computer. I think most of you don’t need this guide and are way more interested in this guide about dual booting OSX and Vista.

Read this before reading the guide:
There are only two ways to install OSX 10.4.8 legal on your Windows computer:
1. Become an Apple developer
2. You can also buy an Intel Mac (I would recommend the Mac Pro!), install Windows XP on it using Apple’s Boot Camp and remove OSX completely, so that you have a legally bought osx86 licence. This method isn’t confirmed and some people say it’s illegal because the EULA says that you aren’t allowed to install OSX on non-Apple hardware.
This means that for most people it is ILLEGAL to install osx on their computer. If you aren’t an Apple developer, leave page site now. This site is in no way liable or responsible for the actions of its visitors.

So what is this?
This is a guide about installing the newest OSX build on your regular computer, so not on an Apple, but on a Linux/Windows comuter. Following this guide will remove everything installed on your computer. This guide is NOT for dual booting OSX. If you don’t want to lose data and/or want to dual boot OSX, go to this page.

You need:
1. A prepatched OSX 10.4.8 install image (you need to be an Apple developer to get this and it isn’t allowed to download the file you get by typing the search term “JaS” on the regular places).
2. An empty DVD recordable (+R or –R, NO Rewritable!)
3. At least 6 GB free space on a HD.
4. A SSE2 supporting processor (SSE only isn’t supported, SSE2 and/or SSE3 is supported)
7. I warmly recommend the Google Pack if you want to

The guide:
0. Make sure the processor of the machine you’ll be installing supports at least SSE2! If the computer runs Windows, you can check this requirement by installing CPU-Z.

1. Get a prepatched OSX install image.

2. Burn the image to an empty dvd recordable (+R or –R)
Use your favorite burn program for this (I recommend Nero Burning Rom or Alcohol 120%)

Don’t read the next step until you backupped all important data on your computer!

3. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer.

4. Boot the DVD, when the grey Apple stops spinning, select your Language (I’ll choose English for this guide)

5. On the top of the screen, click ‘Utilities’ and then ‘Disk Utility’.

6. Disk Utility starts. Select your Hard Disk (the whole Hard Disk, not just a partition). Hit the erase tab and set the Volume Format to “Mac OS extended (journaled)”. Hit Erase.

7. Wait until the process finishes and close Disk Utility (by clicking the red dot at the top left corner of the screen).

8. Follow the installation steps on your screen, select the HD with the partition you made in step 6 and don’t forget to choose ‘customize’.

In the Customization window, select either the Intel or OSX. Choose more packages if they apply.

9. After finishing the installation, wait for the computer to reboot, remove the install disk and start playing with your native OSX installation!

10. Make a donation to paypal@profit42.com.

11. Click here to read some tricks to speed OSX up

135 comments:

1. Mashko Dot Net » Blog Archive » Install OSX 10.4.8 on a regular Intel/AMD computer! said on February 8th, 2007 at 1:51 am :

[…] For the more geeky persons: a link to an OSX/Vista dual boot guide is also included.read more | digg […]

2. Wishlist update and news » Kishor Krishnamoorthi’s Website said on February 8th, 2007 at 6:09 pm :

[…] Installing OSX on a normal PC […]

3. Alistair said on February 8th, 2007 at 6:59 pm :

Looks good, I’m going to check this out in a VMware image, going to assume it’ll be the same deal?!

4. blog7.de » Archiv » OSX 10.4.8 auf Intel/AMD PC installieren! said on February 8th, 2007 at 8:27 pm :

[…] wird mal lustig gezeigt, wie alle M$ Freaks in den Luxus von OS X kommen read more | digg story Share and Enjoy: Diese Icons verzweigen auf soziale Netzwerke bei denen Nutzer neue […]

5. Thanks said on February 8th, 2007 at 9:10 pm :

Thanks!

6. David said on February 9th, 2007 at 6:41 am :

Will an AMD XP 2600+ have SSE2 support?

7. Brian said on February 9th, 2007 at 10:18 am :

Installing this on an HP zv5000 laptop right now… I’ll report back with the results.

8. Brian said on February 9th, 2007 at 9:30 pm :

Install took FOREVER… I left it over night… it was frozen in the morning. I’m not sure if it was fully frozen though, mouse moved… but there wasn’t any windows open…

9. jefferson said on February 10th, 2007 at 2:45 am :

Is there a hardware configuration that’s been proven to work?

What motherboard, sound card, video card did you use?

If I were to hypothetically build a computer specifically for this use, I would want to make sure it would hypothetically work before spending my hypothetical money (the money at this point is even more hypothetical than the rest of it).

10. Chris said on February 10th, 2007 at 8:27 am :

I can’t get it to work at all.

My hardware is a AMD 64 3000+ Processor - supports all SSE’s Socket 939 with Gigabyte MOBO

768 meg of ram

80 GB HDD

Selected all options on Install except the Intel Package that was 1.1 gig.

I fully installs 100% then on reboot it goes to a grey apple screen and there is a Square with a circle with line through it - like a no smoking sign and below it is the waiting signal just spinning - I let it spin for 2 hours and nothing!

Any suggestions?

I really want to get OS X 10.4.8 running.

All help is appreciated.

11. matty said on February 10th, 2007 at 12:53 pm :

ok i’m starting to go crazy here. i burned the iso to a dvd and started the install on my amd 3200+ shuttle machine. it’s boots of the dvd fine and i am able to use disk utility. i get past the installation setup but the actual install fails shortly after iy starts and tells me there was an error and to reboot. i have tried several times with both 10.4.7. and 10.4.8 and both do the same thing.

am i missing something here?

12. Adam said on February 10th, 2007 at 7:55 pm :

Here’s an idea… if you want to run OS X, go buy a Macintosh. If you want one just to play with and don’t want to spend the money on a new one, eBay has alot of used ones at really good prices. The whole point of running a Mac comes from the seemless integration of hardware and software. If you are not totally familiar with the Macintosh, you will be doing yourself a disservice by running the OS on unsupported software, and will probably have an experience equally as shitty as running Windows on one of those boxes. My point is don’t half-ass it. By running X on an unsupported system, you will have a less than satisfactory experience and will consequently go to any number of sites and blast the Mac for not being up to par and then spend the next couple of years blindly extolling the virtues of Windows. Do yourself a favor and spend the $200 on a used iBook.

13. Adam said on February 10th, 2007 at 7:59 pm :

Seamless integration that is, not “seemless,” my bad…

14. JaS said on February 11th, 2007 at 6:59 am :

Nice guide :)

15. Ben said on February 11th, 2007 at 7:12 pm :

Thank you for this guide.

However, I cant get my machine to boot OSX. It installs 100% but on restart (with the DVD in the drive and waiting for the bootloader of the DVD to timeout) i get the message, “system config file ‘/com.apple.Boot.plist’ not found”. If I don’t leave the DVD in the drive and just boot, I get a black screen without this message. Not sure how to resolve this, maybe my hardware is just not compatible?

Any suggestions?

16. Douggy Jean said on February 12th, 2007 at 3:31 am :

Got the same problem as ben - just have a cursor flashing. Any suggestions? Installation went down without a hitch.

17. Mike said on February 12th, 2007 at 6:22 pm :

I have the same issue as Ben and Douggy.

- Dell Dimension 5150
    - Installation went great
    - When the installation process is over and the machine reboots, i get a blinking cursor.

I feel like it should work if I get the thing to boot. Suggestions?

18. Joseph said on February 12th, 2007 at 6:22 pm :

CURSOR JUST FLASHING AFTER INSTALLATION

ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERING THIS?

19. 3Mil said on February 12th, 2007 at 7:12 pm :

I get this error after bootscreen finished:
    No bootable CD In ATAPI CD-ROM
    Hard disk boot sector invalid
    Press ‘H’ to retry Hard Disk, any other key for floppy

Any suggestions?

20. Mike said on February 12th, 2007 at 8:01 pm :

Figured it out!

Joseph, Dougy, Ben -

When you install, make sure you are creating only 1 partition. The default is to have 1 large partition and two small ones (one that is 200mb.)

Go to Disk Utility.

Choose the Drive (not the individual partition on the left.)

Go to the Partition tab.

Select “1 partition” from the dropdown. All your space should be allocated. Click “ok” when it asks to erase everything. Then install OS X for the last time.

I’m now into OSX on my Dimension 5150. The built-in ethernet card is not working, but it is detecting it. Working on that problem now.

21. Ebrahim said on February 12th, 2007 at 8:16 pm :

Hey Jan,

Excellent Guide. A wierd problem though:

I get the usual HFS+ partition error but the good thing is that I can get to the desktop via dvd, but my USB MS Keyboard and mouse don’t work, I plugged in the ps2 keyboard and mouse, but that didn’t work too so I’m unable to do anything.

Any fix for getting input devices work?

Many Thanks.

22. ryan said on February 12th, 2007 at 8:25 pm :

I’m having the same issue as Ebrahim, on my Dell Latitude D620, Intel Core2 Duo.

23. Andrew said on February 12th, 2007 at 11:43 pm :

I get just a flashing cursor after install as well…. any clues???

24. ouxly40 said on February 13th, 2007 at 2:12 pm :

Those of you that are hanging up after installation - have you made sure your CPU is SSe2? I have read there is a -v option that will help determine the hardware issue but have not been able to find the opportunity to enter the option. Maybe someone else can shed some light?

25. bad karma said on February 14th, 2007 at 1:03 am :

Is this a full GUI version of OSX or simply a darwin unix command line?

26. Matt said on February 14th, 2007 at 1:14 am :

Athlon 64 3400, Nforce 3 chipset, Nvida Video

I can boot off the DVD and run the install process through to completion, but when it’s done and it reboots (no dvd in drive) it just say “Press any key to boot of CD…” and it hangs there.

Does anyone know a work around for this problem?

27. ouxly40 said on February 14th, 2007 at 6:14 am :

After the 9th attempt I got it to start. Can’t tell you what it finally was as I was changing things in CMOS. No printer yet. No graphics card No capture card yet. No scanner yet. Doesnt see my other HDDs (expected that). But after downloading a utility from apple site the Safari app works great! So,,, now I need a newsreader to start trying some things out. Anyone know of a spot that has a few drivers? I would like to examine them for their characteristics to get a feel for my tasks ahead. Most of my periferals are not so common so I expect it’s up to me. Don’t really have time to be doing this right now but if I don’t do it who will?
    Wow! What a change! The last time I sat down at a Mac was 1991. Anyone got a trick for full screen windows? What were they thinking by putting the window control buttons on the left? How to install the kext s when I get them? I guess in other words - where is the page located that already answered all the questions I am asking and am about to ask?

28. ouxly40 said on February 14th, 2007 at 6:18 am :

Oh yeah! The -v option is after pressing F8 during that crucial 8 seconds to start the installation. I must have missed that several times. Now Children ! Dont turn and look at TV while installing software…
    Anyway thanks for the point in the right direction. Now I have 50 hours of work to do this week after I get home from work.

29. Ben said on February 14th, 2007 at 7:12 am :

Mike-thank you for your help. I haven’t been fully successful yet, but at least now after installing, the darwin loader starts.

Now, I get to the grey apple screen with the spinning wheel, but then my screen goes black and turns off (ie, my graphics card is not outputting anything). No disk activity, nothing. Don’t know what I need to do to fix this. Probably means my ATI graphics card isn’t supported. I know I have SSE2 support on my machine, Im just thinking my hardware may not be supported.

Thanks for any suggestions.

30. Ben said on February 15th, 2007 at 4:19 am :

Alright, got ‘er working!! This is what I needed to do:
    1. Boot off the DVD and using disk utility, do as Mike had said and create only a SINLGE partition to which to install to.
    2. Customize the install and ONLY choose the drivers for my specific hardware and appropriate processor files (before i was installing all the general hardware, like videocard, stuff and that was causing driver problems and failed boots).
    3. Let the install complete

Hopefully anyone who reads this will understand my gibberish, and be able to get this installed without problem.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped.

31. Kan said on February 16th, 2007 at 4:45 am :

Why can NOT be DVD+RW, does it affect the installation process if using DVD+RW. I heard it somewhere it is just slower. Is that true. Thanks

32. Andrew said on February 16th, 2007 at 6:53 pm :

I’ve just installed it using a DVD+RW and it worked fine.

Followed Mike’s instructions for the blinking cursor effect and now it works a treat!

Probably just slower.

33. Frank said on February 17th, 2007 at 11:14 am :

Mike! thX for the tip with 1 partition, it works!

You made my day!!
    :-)

34. Mihai said on February 18th, 2007 at 9:12 pm :

people can you tell me if it would work on my PC:

processor: AMD 64 @3200+ Venice
    motherboard: DFI LAN PARTY ULTRA-D,chipset NF4
    LAN: MARVELL (don’t know what model), NVIDIA
    HDD: SATA 250GB
    AUDIO: Realtek (don’t know what model..)

From my last experience with mac os x on X86 hardware i had a little bit of time to tweak with it.

The version i used is 10.4.6 and my sound card was detected but my lan cards didn’t work, my sata neither, my video card…hmm i installed macvidia drivers and got it working but it looked like no Anti aliasing worked, i mean no smooth surface just like xp graphics…:((
    My usb ports were detected but i tried my usb stick and it didn’t worked, my video camera neither, my tv tuner was not detected…
    As i said before i didn’t had time to play with it because i used my friend IDE HDD and dual booted with some boot manager… I want it to try it only if it works on my SATA HDD and hopefully not to wipe it.. I mean use the primary partition (currently WIN XP) of 10GB…

I hope somebody sees my post…:)

35. z3rr0 said on February 19th, 2007 at 2:32 am :

>> Mike! thX for the tip with 1 partition, it works!
    >> You made my day!!

Ditto. Friggin simple. ;-)

36. James said on February 19th, 2007 at 10:25 am :

i have successfully installed mac on the pc.

processor: amd sempron 2800+
    acs k8t800 MOBO
    4gb hdd
    built in lan/sound

my lan card wasn’t detected at all and i couldn’t get my usb ports to work either. everything else goes fine! installed on a ATA 4gb drive (it was the only spare i had)

37. Eric said on February 19th, 2007 at 10:41 pm :

I’m trying to install this on a Lenovo T60 laptop (model 2007-GBU). The installer goes through just fine, have no issues. After the reboot I get the gray screen with the Apple logo, and the spinner underneath for about 15 seconds. But then, THe screen flickers and goes completely red. It hangs there and will go no further. Has anyone had this issue or can think of a reason/resolution?

Processor: Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz (supports all sse’s)
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    SATA Hard drive
    1GB PC4700 memory

38. Anonymous said on February 20th, 2007 at 3:00 pm :

It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!It work!

I’m really happy!

39. Suqata said on February 21st, 2007 at 6:20 pm :

i get the message, “system config file ‘/com.apple.Boot.plist’ not found” or a blank screen with a cursor w/o CD. I’ve read through the other posts but no one has really stated what they did to get it running. I am installing to a HD with one large partition.

40. johnodd4 said on February 22nd, 2007 at 1:49 pm :

i had several problems i install this on my compaq which is supported it installs no problems installation is slow i also own a mac so im doing this as a experiment with a compaq tablet pc that has all the components in it to boot os x or occording to the osx86 page anyways i try to boot after the install all the windows work it gets to the apple logo and gives me the black screen of death that says

there was a serious error trying to boot mac os x please restart your computer to continue i have tried everything and no luck
    this sucks

41. Mihai said on February 23rd, 2007 at 9:10 pm :

Dudes in 3 hours or less, depending when i finish downloading something… i will try and install the mac os x 10.4.8 and hopefully maybe i get lucky and works fine.. I will come and post some details..

I hope that the network card will be detected and have no problem surfing the internet but the first thing that i will see if it works is: SATA chipset… I hope my hdd will be detected and install osx 10 on it.
    If anyone tried this on a DFI LanPary ULTRA-D with a SATA HDD and didn’t work please let me know… I don’t want to reinstall windows just because the osx didn’t detect my sata hdd…

As i was saying i will return with some details of my second mac os x installation….wish me luck! :)

42. spikegotti said on February 24th, 2007 at 4:16 pm :

hi guys, i own a dell inspiron 6400, dual core, 512 mb ram, will this work on my hardware. please help

43. Mihai said on February 24th, 2007 at 6:44 pm :

Yep….i screwed my computer….:) i tried to install 10.4.8 on my sata hdd on the primary partition of 10 gb. It was detected by the installer i erased the first primary partition and i tried to install it. After 10 minutes with my fingers crossed i hoped that i will see the desktop….but no…it had to yell “still waiting for root device” error… Ok….install windows get on the internet and google for answers… When i finally installed the windows xp os i was surprised that my network card can’t go online…ok…i said to plug the network cable in the other ethernet nic. After i configured the ethernet i looked on google for answers….i’m still looking why it did detect my sata hdd and after the installation during booting from my sata hdd got this error…..”still waiting for root device”….back to the drawing board…

44. cons123 said on February 25th, 2007 at 1:04 pm :

Has anyone succeded installing osx without erasing the whole hdd and just installing it on an existing available partition just like Mihai tried?

45. ouxly40 said on February 25th, 2007 at 4:11 pm :

It’s all in the motherboard that you use. I have successfully installed it on an ASROCK 915GL board and on an Intel Granite Bay board. Everything works. I have failed on 7 other boards. I still have 4 more P4 boards to try it on.

When installing on the Granite Bay board it said waiting for root device for about 9 minutes. If I hadn’t been busy doing something else I would have aborted. But it finally installed and worked. You may want to be patient.

46. Philippe said on February 26th, 2007 at 12:04 am :

I think this distrib does not include support for NVidia Nforce chipsets.

If you want to install to a SATA drive, and you are using an Nforce, grab this kext code and you should be able to install on SATA using Nvidia-based motherboard:

I don’t know anything about installing it, but that should get you to where you want.

Philippe

47. Coolest_Tech said on February 26th, 2007 at 5:21 pm :

I got it working. :) AMD Athlon X2 3800+, MSI K8n Diamond, and BFG GeForce 7800 GT. Only one problem, the keyboard doesn;t work. Any idea how to fix this?

48. links for 2007-02-09 at guessboy said on February 28th, 2007 at 5:49 pm :

[…] OSX 10.4.8 on a normal Intel/AMD computer (tags: Computer hacks mac PC tutorial howto install) […]

49. aid85 said on March 2nd, 2007 at 3:36 pm :

hey Ben and Mike, help me!!!

I have correcty install macosx from jas patched dvd… but after the grey screen with apple… black-screen.

I’ve made a single partition but i do not know wich driver install and wich not.

Someone can help me?

My notebook is: COMPAQ Evo N800v

please help !

50. Mozillaman said on March 5th, 2007 at 5:44 pm :

Could I install OSX on a Vaio PCG-F290?

PII 400mhz
    NeoMagic 256AV Graphics
    192MB of RAM
    6.0 ATA HD

51. Ralf said on March 7th, 2007 at 11:16 pm :

Tried it with VMware. It hangs with this messages:

Does anybody know what´s wrong with it?

52. Ralf said on March 7th, 2007 at 11:25 pm :

I don´t know if something went wrong with my last post, or if it is not allowed to post pictures here. So I try it once more. This is the picture of the boot screen:

53. Coolest_Tech said on March 9th, 2007 at 2:02 am :

I think you don’t have SSE3. If you don’t have a SSE3 CPU, it will hang. As for my problem, does everyone here have USB keyboards or does anyone have PS/2?

54. Ralf said on March 10th, 2007 at 3:43 am :

I have the same CPU as you. So I think that shouldn´t be the problem.

55. antoine said on March 10th, 2007 at 5:43 pm :

same thing with guys, NF4 ASUS ,Sata 80Gb, 7950GT card, x-fi card sound, so, i still stuck on screen :

“system config file ‘/com.apple.Boot.plist’ not found”

Or something like this : you must restart, or push a button and wait ’til restart computer…With small windows in the middle…?

Any solution for this? Not compatible? or I’m wrong something???

56. n.c.e.j. said on March 13th, 2007 at 12:21 am :

hey, has anyone yet tried PearPC emulator? it will probably make it a bit slower since it emulates the PowerPC processor architecture instead of the x86, but at least it will work!

57. ed said on March 13th, 2007 at 4:31 am :

I tried a few times to install OSX, and everytime this happens:

Booting with the DVD the first time, it takes a very long time to arrive at the graphical interface, and I have to reboot because of the slow speed.

But after rebooting, the install process goes a lot faster, and I can install OSX.

But then, I couldn’t start the newly installed OSX, with the message “still waiting for root device”

Machine: AMD 64 3000, 939, MSI NEO4 (nforce), SATA hdd, NVIDIA graphics.

58. Tyraz said on March 13th, 2007 at 3:36 pm :

Hi, i’m having no problems ‘installing’ osx per se… more having troubles at the ‘reboot’ screen, where it simply freezes, thinks a little n goes off in some undisclosed corner and stays like that for the rest of eternity… when i restart manually and attempt to run the operating system that has been said to be ’software installed’ it simply decides to do repeat the former problem… and possibly start contemplating suicide… short of having a contest of ‘who can sit and watch the other for the longest without blinking’, what can be done?

I’ve gotta P4 prescott with Radeon 9600 Pro AGP, although have tried both SEE2 and SEE3.. to this ends i believe the only real potential problem lies with my 865G7MF Foxconn motherboard (with Intel chipset), as i believe the processor and graphics are fine…

Naturally, with my computer slowly dieing, and in a state of denial about the whole affair it has been left to me to cry HELP!?… anyone…

59. Pc Rat said on March 13th, 2007 at 6:11 pm :

Foreveryone having problems, All i have to say is NO SHI*!!! when your computer was built, they stuck a nice sound card in, and a good graphics card in, they didnt think you would put a NON SUPPORTED operating system on it. of course your going to have errors!!! like on of the guys said b4, go buy a mac.

a mac will never out power a pc. I will still use linux before i touch mac.

mac is for kids, its got that pathetic fisher price look!

mac is family oriented thats it!
    Real users use linux.

60. combi said on March 14th, 2007 at 7:46 pm :

Is it possible to update this version just through the software update of Apple to 10.4.9?

61. admin said on March 14th, 2007 at 8:16 pm :

@combi:

Sorry, you can’t. Keep an eye on the following topic at the InsanelyMac forums: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45272 and on the front page of this site, I’ll post the guide as soon as it appears.

62. serwer said on March 15th, 2007 at 5:56 pm :

i install macos without problem but when i try to start it i get a message that i hav to reboot the system. When i reboot pc i get same message i reboot and again same message. What do i hav to doo??
    I Hav Celeron D 315 2.26GHz Gigabyte GA-8i848P-G 512MB Ram and GeForce2 GTS

63. zahadum said on March 18th, 2007 at 9:22 pm :

@PC RAT … who doesnt like the mac gui (what? he likes the linux gui - LOL!)

only losers run linux ….

if u want to waste all your time stuck in unix, then use Darwin (the BSD subsystem in osx).

but if you want to be productive (ie add value to your work), then use the rest of osx — ie the core cocoa system (or carbon, its little brother) in osx.

it is amazing how stupid people are sooooo willing to display their ignorance ….

PCRAT: if u r developing software (which i doubt) then i will issue u this challenge: given the specification for a seriouly complex application, i will bet u $1000 that it can be designed, coded & tested at least 2X fast using osx than ‘plain jane’ linux.

care to put your money where your mouth is?!

64. Clapp! said on March 19th, 2007 at 9:29 pm :

I’m a satisfied Linux user (I’m from Spain, so my English wouldn’t be good) and I want to be more satisfied switching to Mac. My next PC will be a Mac, but I want to try that amazing-state-of-the-art OS.

So, when i tip in the console a ‘cat /proc/cpuinfo’ I get the info of my CPU, and in ‘flags’ I get this:

[ … acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm … ]

It seems that my CPU supports SSE2, awesome!

P.D:

zahadum, please try Linux.

Ubuntu + Beryl = Wow! (and you can make it very useful)

65. joe dirt said on March 22nd, 2007 at 2:52 pm :

I checked my processor with the CPU-Z program. It showed that I do have SEE2. Whenever I try to install my OS X, it comes up with the “Still waiting for root device” error. I was wondering if anyone knew the fix for this.

66. Aaron said on March 23rd, 2007 at 9:08 am :

I have a dvd, and it boots fine, and it goes to the screen when it asks you if you want to boot normally, use the -v option or use the help menu. With both the standard hit enter, and the -v option, it starts to boot for 10-15 seconds and then restarts the computer and starts the whole process over again…
    any advice?

67. yingjai said on March 26th, 2007 at 6:17 am :

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-T250P laptop with no PS/2 slots and no setting in bios to turn off legacy usb support. JaS install from the dvd, the computer reboots and tries to detect my mouse. I turn on my bluetooth mouse and it connects fine, but when it goes searching for a keyboard, it doesn’t detect the laptop keyboard and keeps searching. I don’t have any usb keyboards. Can anyone help me?

68. icebox said on March 26th, 2007 at 8:29 pm :

Hi there!

I have the problem, that it won’t boot.
    While installing, i saw something like, that i have to start later with F8 and type something in the console, but it hasn’t work for me.

What can i do?
    I just installed amd package and not the intel drivers.

69. Rick said on March 29th, 2007 at 1:29 pm :

I get past the grey Apple logo screen prior to installation, but it hangs at the light blue screen. I let it sit for about 4 hours. Never even made it to the install process. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate it, thanks!

I have a:

Dell Inspiron 6000
    It’s the Centrino Chipset (probably a Pentium M CPU) @ 2GHz
    2GB RAM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 GM
    60GB HDD

70. John said on March 29th, 2007 at 5:01 pm :

I try to install Mac OS 10.4.6 on my PC i follow the instruction

Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer.

On the top of the screen, click ‘Utilities’ and then ‘Disk Utility’.

6. Disk Utility starts, but it didn’t see my HD I tried several times but same result. Anyone have any idea? I tried the HD with no partition (blank). I also try to install Wndows first but still the same. Thanks

71. tyre said on March 29th, 2007 at 6:03 pm :

Just thought i’d chime in with my results:

Vaio 1.5Ghz 400Mhz Bus (PCV-RX550)
    nVidia 5200 128mb

So far everything works great besides the wifi card (DWL-G510).. haven’t even started working on that one..

As a summary for those having the blinking cursor at boot issue:
    1.Boot from the DVD and press enter to load setup.
    2.open Disk Utility, click the actual harddrive (not it’s current partition) and click the partition button.
    3.In the drop down menu, choose 1 partition. Make sure mac osx journalled is selected and click erase. You will be prompted to confirm, then you’re done.
    4. Re-install (only choose AMD or INTEL. Open the other drivers category and make sure there is something you need. I didn’t need any of them, and most likely you will only need one or two, not the whole package)

You see, what happened for me was even though you might choose to make only one partition following the tutorials on osx86proejct.org or what have you, an empty 200mb area is left on the disk. It isn’t another partition, just 200mb emtpy space, and THEN the actual partition starts. The steps above (see post 20 by Mike) are to resolve that. Worked for me!

72. John said on March 30th, 2007 at 12:32 am :

for some reason it didn’t see the hard drive or any partition; only the 4.4 GB SONY….. Mac OS X install Disc….) which is my. I have a 250 SATA Hard Drive. Thank

73. Caught_in_Headlights said on March 30th, 2007 at 9:22 am :

I am up and running!!!!!!

Asus p4p800mx, 2.93 ghz. celeron, 1gb ram 225$ clams

ps2 keyboard and mouse. Usb works, firewire works, ethernet works

No sound, 1024×768 onboard. Thank you insanelymac and wiki. It took me 2 weeks to download this Jas 10.4.8. Seeding it now. I have a g4 digital audio with dual 1.6 ghz processor from gigadesisgn and this little pc is giving it a run for its money. Pc scored 50 on xbench 70 without open gl and hard drive checked.
    My g4 scored 30

74. Jan said on March 30th, 2007 at 1:41 pm :

Hello everybody, after a bit of work I am running osx 10.4.8 on my Toshiba Satellite 1130 Notebook and it works fine. still i have two problems:
    1. cant find my Firewire pcmcia cardbus (doesnt detect any pcmcia card)
    2. cant start final cut pro 5.1, because of the Quartz Extreme acceleration. My notebook doesn’t support Quartz Extreme, wich is required by Final Cut 5.1. Any suggestions? Does anybody know, if there is a Hack that delets Quartz Extreme from the Final Cut requirements? Thanks —– Jan

75. ouxly40 said on March 31st, 2007 at 10:11 pm :

I have somehow deleted a file I need. Would someone let me “borrow a copy” of this one. I will return it when I am finished with it.

I need the iohdaudiofamily key extension

Version: 1.0.0
    Last Modified: 11/1/06 7:20 AM
    Get Info String: 1.0.0, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2005
    Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
    kext Version: 1.0.0d1
    Load Address: 0×2e241000
    Valid: Yes
    Authentic: Yes
    Dependencies: Incomplete
    Dependency Errors:
    com.apple.iokit.IOHDAudioFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found
    Integrity: Kext has no receipt

76. Solja said on April 2nd, 2007 at 3:01 am :

Ran the install with -v option and all i get is
    touch: /var/run/installer: Read-only file system

77. mahesh said on April 2nd, 2007 at 6:32 am :

hello i have a serious problem in installing os x 10.4.6 on my laptop…
    i did as you guys said here…and the installation went fine. and i choose to customized installation and i unchecked everything. then a popup window came up showing the media test of the asx dvd. it had option to skip test and continue installing. but i choose to test media. after testing media content in os x 10.4.6(jas) dvd which i have burned stops at 5% and says there were errors. check for fingerprints and scratches….and shows two options 1. ignore and continue installing and 2. stop installing..

when i choose ignore and continue installing the installation went fine and when it goes to85% it say THERE WERE ERRORS INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE., PLEASE TYR INSATALLING AGAIN….

I WAS HAPPY AS THE INSTALLATION PROCESS STARTED..can anybody tell me wats going wrong….

my laptop is
    intel m 1.5ghz with sse2, 2mb l2 cahce..
    40gb HDD
    256 mb DDR2…

please can anybody help me….am trying insatlling from past 14 hours
    whats the problem

please can anyone here help me in instaling…

k_s_mahesh@hotmail.com its my eamil….

78. mahesh said on April 2nd, 2007 at 6:37 am :

hello i have a serious problem in installing os x 10.4.6 on my laptop…

my laptop is
    intel m 1.5ghz with sse2, 2mb l2 cahce..
    40gb HDD
    256 mb DDR2…
    i use os x 10.4.6 (jas)

i started installing in customisation mode and i didnot install any additional stuffs like language translator, combo update, font pack, and driver for my network card…also patches for sse 2 or amd…did not select anythng

please can anybody help me….am trying insatlling from past 14 hours
    whats the problem

can anyone help me..
    k_s_mahesh@hotmail.com
    tats my email id…

79. msg said on April 3rd, 2007 at 7:01 am :

I’ve been playin’ with a few different machines. got the grayed out installer on a Core2 Duo on an Intel board with SATA before I even got very far, so that machine was out.

next, tried a P4-3.0GHz on an Intel D865GBF board w/onboard Intel NIC and Soundmax audio, SATA drive, and nVidia GeForce4 4600 AGP — the install seemed to complete, but kept hanging on reboot; never got to the desktop. ran the -v option and it was hanging on a couple of different things. sorry, didn’t think to write them down since there were different options selected from the custom install menu between each attempt.

last machine I tried was a D865GBF. same as above, only the video card was the nVidia GeForce 6200. I did the single partition as described above, then the custom installation, removing the languages, and typical hardware patches. installed Intel only option, and I think the nVidia (can’t remember I’ve done this so many times the past couple of days). anyway, just when I thought it was failing again (the screen went black for a few seconds) and was about to power it off, the Mac desktop popped up. only thing I wasn’t getting was USB capability, and the screen res. was a little sketchy even at 1280; not very smooth even though smoothing was enabled. ran the advertised .9 update and trashed the whole install (duuuhr). I think I read somewhere not to update it. anyway, so here’s another configuration that works pretty well.

hope this helps a few of you. seems to be finicky with video.

80. Mark’s (we)Blog » ThinkBook? MacPad? said on April 4th, 2007 at 9:56 pm :

[…] Profit42’s advice for installing OS X 10.4.x on a “normal” PC (and assuming that all data on the target computer’s hard disk can be […]

81. CP's said on April 8th, 2007 at 5:01 pm :

After many tries, I was able to get Mac OS X to boot in to the OS. The first few tries I’d get the blank screen after a successful install (or a grey screen, grey screen with different sized lines, etc.) On my last attempt, I was able to get it to fully boot, but I tried to manually change the screen resolution in terminal and it would no longer boot. So, I’m currently reinstalling it now.

Here’s my machine:
    Dell 4600 (with original mobo, ram, PSU)
    Upgraded processor to a P4 3.0 GHZ with HT from a 2.66 GHZ.
    20″ Flat panel Widescreen
    ATI X800 XT All in Wonder

Here’s what I did:
    Under the bios, I disabled Hyperthreading. Also, I disconnected any nonessential peripherals (network cable, sound card, usb hub).
    1.) I proceeded to install the 10.4.8 JAS file off a burned dvd. I let the disk go until the setup GUI arrived.
    2.) I went to Disk Utility and formated the hard drive (an 80 maxtor) to standard journal as one partition named “Mac”.
    3.)Then, I only installed the JAS for intel file and the 10.4.4 login patch (THAT’S IT) [No languages, printers, accessories, etc).
    4.) Then, let set up run and click restart when it’s done.
    6.) Remove the CD and let the computer boot to the hard drive.

My reinstall worked and I’m running OS X. I haven’t tried the sound, but I will. Ethernet does not work yet.

82. Aaron said on April 11th, 2007 at 1:05 am :

can someone leave a link to a working dvd of 10.4.8, mine refuses to work…

83. Lee said on April 11th, 2007 at 3:08 pm :

Same problem here. Running ThinkCentre M55e Pentium D 3.4Ghz, 512mb. Tried installing using Jas 10.4.8 and selecting the SSE3 patch, plus some other drivers, printers etc. Installs fine, then gives the black screen with flashing cursor. Tried again after making sure my partition is active no go. Trying once more now with NO options at all just a regular install. I’ll post what happens.

84. Lee said on April 11th, 2007 at 3:18 pm :

K no go, that didn’t work. Even disabled one processor core in Bios. All I get is the black screen with flashing cursor. I give up, back to vista :)

85. FredrikNas.se » Blogg Arkiv » FredrikNas.se said on April 12th, 2007 at 1:12 am :

[…] också över en guide om hur du installerar MAC osX på en vanlig PC. Mac OsX på en vanlig PC kanske kan vara intressant för […]

86. hp said on April 12th, 2007 at 4:59 pm :

Hey

How can I get my computer to work.

Dell Dimension 2400

384 mb RAM

40gb hd

2.53 ghz processor
    _______________________________________________________________

Whenever I installed it it would boot up. But right before the apple comes up it restarts itself.

Do u guys know how 2 fix it?

87. Samir said on April 13th, 2007 at 7:16 pm :

I got weired problem, i can boot from DVD but after reaching install screen i see no graphics meaning i cannot read what apple’s Install screen wants to convey…!

I’m trying on Intel 1.8GHz, 512RAM & 80GB.

Help please…

88. Hugo said on April 13th, 2007 at 9:40 pm :

I got the Os x installed on my Intel, but when i reboot it without the DVD it says “b0 error”

need help =(

89. aoleks said on April 14th, 2007 at 3:48 pm :

“i have successfully installed mac on the pc.

processor: amd sempron 2800+”

you are lying, os x doesn’t work on sempron because it doesn’t even has SSE support, not to mention sse2 or sse3. don’t you have anything better to do?

here is a good configuration:

intel core duo 2 cpu
    intel 915 chipset motherboard
    intel GMA900 gpu
    sata hdd
    usb mouse and keyboard

one such a system is not expensive at all if you allready have a case, power source, monitor etc. …

good luck!

90. Bob said on April 14th, 2007 at 6:14 pm :

My computer has a Pentium D processor and 1 gig of ram and when I made a mistake and didn’t choose the Intel drivers the install went fine bu the computer wouldn’t load OS X so i reformatted the drive and it is formated to Macintosh journaling file system and selected the specific drivers for my computer but when it goes to install it says there were errors in installing even thought the DVD check went fine.

91. tom said on April 15th, 2007 at 4:40 am :

I tried to install this, used the 10.4.8 image. Install went fine, I made sure to choose the amd setup, and the ati one based on my hardware (amd x2 3800+ and ati x700).

Install goes by fine, but when I try to boot into osx (even with the -x option) it hangs on the grey apple screen.

I keep reading things about having to modify the ati drivers , but I am not sure how to do this without being able to log into OSX.

92. TeraBitez said on April 18th, 2007 at 5:25 am :

My installation of 10.4.8 image went fine. When I reboot, a grey apple logo appears and the a circle preloader under it keeps on spinning for hours and still nothing else happened. Anyone got a the solution for this. Thanks.

93. TeraBitez said on April 18th, 2007 at 5:50 am :

*updated*

Intel p4 524 (3.06 GHz)
    Asus p5gd1 pro mobo
    Nivdia 6200 TC PCIE video card

94. Jesper said on April 18th, 2007 at 10:35 am :

My “installation” comes everytime to the state where i´m supposed to choose my target drive!!! There is NOTHING!!! Only my DVD, wich is my startdisk….I have done everything in these guides, but nothing!!!??? What am i missing????? PLEASE HELP!!!!

95. anil said on April 18th, 2007 at 2:36 pm :

i cannot burn the image to dvd .if i burn it only 183kb is being burned….can anyone say solution to this problem……

in advance thanks

96. TeraBitez said on April 19th, 2007 at 7:35 am :

I’ve used -v on boot after F8 and it worked fine (just the flipped display, but when i restarted it was ok). So i want to move NVI* / GeFor* and ATi* kext from the extensions folder(seems to be the solution for my problem) but i can’t get into safe mode (-x). Any suggestions? :-)

97. TeraBitez said on April 19th, 2007 at 7:38 am :

Sorry for the misinformation….

I can get into safe mode but I’m stucked with a black screen and a mouse cursor on it, I can move the mouse but after a couple of minutes there were no hard disk activity but still I can move the mouse cursor. Any ideas?

98. Jesper said on April 19th, 2007 at 12:19 pm :

Really need some help over here!!! No target drive to be found, only my startup disk, the OSX DVD…and i cant format that one ;)
    So some help would be great. Thanx!

99. TeraBitez said on April 19th, 2007 at 12:32 pm :

ei, Jesper,

was that when you perform the disk utility (steps 5,6 & 7)?

100. Jesper said on April 19th, 2007 at 1:09 pm :

Thats correct….Just wont find any harddrives. I´ve got 2. One wich i run my XP on, and the other one as a spare. The strange thing was when i had my external media drive plugged in, OSX found it. But now i cant use that disk because it crashed:(

So, i´m stuck with my internal disk. Should i try to format the disk to something else…like HFS?

101. Jesper said on April 19th, 2007 at 1:46 pm :

I will try tis version next, JaS OS X 10.4.8 SSE2/3 Intel/AMD DVD w/ JaS 10.4.9 Combo Update SSE3. This will be my 3rd attempt to install OSX86! Have tried 10.4.3 Patched Jas v.42b, OSX86 10.4.6 and 10.4.4. So i really hope this one will do the trick;)

102. Jesper said on April 19th, 2007 at 2:42 pm :

guess who? ;) nope, still no change in my plans on getting this to work..just tried the version JaS OS X 10.4.8 SSE2/3 Intel/AMD DVD without any luck GRRRR..WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???

103. Dean Leaner said on April 19th, 2007 at 7:48 pm :

Dean Leaner here, I have a prob with 10.4.1 (the crap deadmoooo version) No programs will run even the control panel oh system info unless I right click and choice work with rosette in the Apps folder. Also the time and date, spotlight and other icons on the taskbar have gone and I can’t bring em back up. I’ve downloaded the JaS 10.48 DVD now anyway and will install that anyway but just a warning never use the deadmoo image!

104. Brancusi said on April 19th, 2007 at 9:54 pm :

Installation quick and easy.
    Several errors for the airport system preference panel.
    So, no wireless, no sound, no Ethernet.
    Installed on Usb2 external drive.

105. Jesper said on April 20th, 2007 at 9:39 am :

How come that everyone here succeed with there installations??? Makes me very frustrated GRRRR…

Still need help over here!!! PLEASE!!!

106. mahesh said on April 22nd, 2007 at 8:02 am :

hello sir,
    i am installing MACOSX for given upper instruction but i have a problem. after installation reboot and apple logo apear and than Starting MacOSX screen come than system hangs. what’s the problem. please help me.

107. Brancusi said on April 22nd, 2007 at 9:17 pm :

I’ve installed 10.4.8 on a HP Compaq nx 7400 notebook (Intel Celeron M 1.8 GHz).
    I’ve executed the installation in three different ways:

1 - stand alone (one partition, only Mac OSX on the HD)
    2 - on an external HD Usb2
    3 - in dual boot with XP on the same internal HD.

In all three ways I have’nt had any problem, Tiger run well and quickly, except…

…except for the three functions that I have pointed out in my previous post:

- no wireless
    - no sound
    - no Ethernet.

Some suggestion in order to fix it?

108. tmtoth345 said on April 28th, 2007 at 5:42 am :

i have no idea what to do because i installed JaS Mac Os X 10.4.7 no problem but i reboot and i get to the grey screen with a apple and a thing spinning after thats done a blueish screen stays. I think it has something to do with my monitor or something

Hp Pavilion dv4000 series(dv4420)
    1.7 ghz
    512 ram
    intel 915 express chipset family
    intel centrino

Help i’m a n00b kind of and i really need help soon

thanx

109. dirtysanchez220 said on May 2nd, 2007 at 6:53 am :

so I can’t even get it to boot. I’ve burned the image twice, tried 2 disks.. Just won’t boot at all :( when I put it in my desktop it says 0 bytes used 0 bytes free on the DVD… when I put it into a friend’s G5 it works just fine.

Any suggestions?

110. blabla said on May 5th, 2007 at 4:42 pm :

Heyah!

So after instalation, computer is rebooting and then Windows is loading but not OS X. Any idea?

111. crunch420 said on May 6th, 2007 at 5:23 am :

when i reboot pc it says boot disc error why is this?

112. nyl said on May 6th, 2007 at 4:47 pm :

i have:
    AMD SEMPRON 64
    NVIDA GEFORCE FX 6200
    ADI SOUND MAX
    NVIDIA ETHERNET
    1024 DRR
    PS2 KEYBOARD
    USB MOUSE

I GET THOSE PROBLEMS TOO
    b0 error
    no smoking sign over apple logo at boot and nothing

no smoking sign over the apple logo means you don’t have a apple

113. nyl said on May 6th, 2007 at 4:49 pm :

i forghout something:

ASUS MOTHERBOARD
    120 GB HDD
    TEAC CD-RW
    FLOPY

114. Brancusi said on May 7th, 2007 at 4:24 pm :

*crunch420
    You need Boot Cd with BootMagic for make active again the Windows partition. (You can try to download “Ultimate BootCD”).

*blabla
    You Must install a boot manager:
    I’ve installed Acronis os selector 8.0.
    Work fine.

115. Shivam said on May 16th, 2007 at 10:40 pm :

Hello friends.
    I succeeded in installing tiger 10.4.4 on my hdd with the windoze partitions still intact. the steps are simple;
    I made my last ntfs partition a primary partition (10 gb) with the help of partition magic. Now I had 2 primary partitions. Obviously C:\ drive had xp. Then booting with the os x dvd, i installed it on my c drive, wiping off xp. The install was successfull and it booted into tiger.
    Now comes the second part. I booted the comp. with xp cd and started to install it on my second primary partition (F drive on my comp). XP gave a warning that another primary partition with another os already exists. installing windows on this partition will make the other partition inactive and activate the current partition. proceed? Chose yes and installed xp. Now the Darwin boot promp vanished with my system booting only xp.
    I went to command prompt and using disk part i re activated the OS x partition.

Rebooted and voila, I had dual boot and the darwin promp, with my xp and tiger.

116. Shivam said on May 16th, 2007 at 10:48 pm :

And yes, my dlink ethernet card was not detected, so i copied the IONeworkingFamily.kext (found after googling) to System/Library/Extensions, and repaired the disk permission with disk utility. Rebooted and my ethernet card is up and running.

117. dodjf said on June 8th, 2007 at 10:26 pm :

how to you burn this? i have this 3.7GB thing with 260 parts and no idea how to turn it into a boot disk.

118. dell2400 said on June 10th, 2007 at 9:35 am :

Help!

Installion was ok. No Errors or prompt. But after the final reboot, i get need to reboot prompt. Another reboot, and still the same thing.

My machine is a Dell 2400

119. Terdog said on June 10th, 2007 at 7:43 pm :

Im having the the same problem as Jesper. It refuses to find my Internal SATA drives on boot. It finds my external USB\IDE Drive fine, and both my burners, but not my sata drives.

Any Ideas?

120. Marcin said on June 17th, 2007 at 10:40 am :

I think there is small mistake in step 8 description.

It is said to choose between “Intel or OSX”. As far as I understood it, it’s about choosing packages for you processor then it should mention “Intel or AMD”.

Am I right?

121. John said on June 21st, 2007 at 5:40 am :

My question to you guys or anyone who can answer it is when i install osx 10.4.8 on my pc and i install the titan nvidia support i get this flicker if you will. Let me see how to properly describe it, its almost as if anytime i would open or close a safari window my screen would turn black and then the screen will appear normal. but then if i open or close another window it repeats its self. I am running an Abit KN8-sli, AMD 2.44 Athlon 64, 1024mb RAM, and a BFG NVidia 6600 OC 512 PCIe card. Any tips would help tons!!!!

122. TR4XtheR1PP3R said on August 3rd, 2007 at 11:02 pm :

I have a different problem that nobody has confronted yet. The DVD boots just fine, goes through its preliminaries, and then takes me to the Language select screen; THIS is where I have my problems. When I make it to the Language select, my mouse and keyboard refuse to work. I’m using USB on both devices. I’m getting to that screen, so i really don’t think it’s a hardware conflict unless it doesn’t like USB for some reason but if so, i haven’t seen any references to this.

My hardware is as follows:
    AMD Athlon 4000+ [OC’d~2.7]
    Nvidia 7600GS 512PCI
    1 Gig of RAM
    1 Sata HD & 1 IDE HD
    USB on mouse and keyboard

123. Tom said on August 7th, 2007 at 10:27 am :

Hi,
    i am install Mac OSx 10.4.8 Jas installation,on my external USB HDD and the installation work fine and all will be Ok, but when computer tray to boot OS x,hapend following:

1.Boot Darwin OSx86….
    (and after 3 sec)
    2.Then i say a gray screen with apple logo and rotate circle under the logo, and will not booting from this step…
    Have someone a solution for this problem???
    Please email to me a solution :tomika@email.t-com.hr
    Thanx and regards,
    Tom

124. Tom said on August 7th, 2007 at 10:34 am :

Sorry, i forgot my computer is
    Toshiba Satelite M60, 2,13 GHz Centrino Mobile, 2 GB RAM, Intel VGA 128MB,etc….
    Regards,
    Tom

125. boothy said on August 17th, 2007 at 2:29 pm :

yo everybody . i want this apple mac on pc but………..i dont know if its worth it? i already have an apple emac but i wanted to try it on a pc see the difference on speed and stuff ……sounds like a lot of F**KIN around for this though what u think? WORTH MESSIN BOUT N RUNNIN MAC ON A 3,OOGHZ PROCESSOR or LEAVING IT AND USE OLD APPLE EMAC 1.4GHZ

126. Raffaele said on August 22nd, 2007 at 12:58 pm :

Hi… I install the ISO with VMWARE and all is OK…
    I install in a new HARD DISK and i don’t know but where i restart after installation, the system don’t start..

There is a dot. STOP.
    The CPU , Main board, RAM, SVGA and Hard disk (EIDE) is supported…

127. cubano said on August 23rd, 2007 at 1:59 pm :

Guys, I’m installing for the second time Mac x86 on quite old Gateway laptop.
    Couple of ideas for all: 1- Boot from DVD and press F8 as soon as starts; 2- select -v option, it helps a lot. 3- After ‘installer’ begin, select COSTUME install, important: add the AMD/x86 pack and x11 for OS X. I’ll keep you informed. Good look.

128. John said on September 4th, 2007 at 2:29 am :

So I installed the JAS 10.4.8 on a Seagate 500GB. Here are my specs.

1.86GHZ Core 2 Duo E6320
    X1950PRO Ati or Saphire (same thing)
    500GB Seagate SATA
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    2x 1GB Crucial PC8500
    2x 1GB Crucial PC6400

Everything worked perfectly (install) and the full install worked and everything went well. Once it restarted after the original install, I get the startup screen but immediately after the screen warps and doesn’t show anything. I don’t know what else to do??

129. Nick said on September 23rd, 2007 at 1:24 pm :

Hi There.

Please help, Installed 100% then i restart and it bring up on the black screen “MACH Restart” so i turn my computer off then on again and it loads with the apple logo and circle thing turning, after that it brings up a black screen and just hangs. Had left it for 1 hour and nothing
    Please Help

HP pavillion dv4000, intel centrino 80gb hdd and 1gb ram
    Thanks

130. Nathan said on September 23rd, 2007 at 4:34 pm :

Hi all,

I am a mac user (previously pc) that needs to set up a web server to handle a heavy workload (pages that use applescript to control os x applications with heavy cpu load)…my initial feeling is to buy one of the new mac pro with xeon processors but the expense is huge!!!! if i could setup a stamdard pc box with xeon processors to run ox x applications then that would be great… i am reading some issues here (although as an ox x user some of them seem pretty easy to work around such as setting up the harddrive properly etc… but before i go out and purchase a pc box with xeon processors (which are useless to me unless they run os x sucessfully) i need to know this is going to work, and what i need to consider when building this box….

thanks,

nathan.

131. Carl said on September 26th, 2007 at 10:02 pm :

Hilarious that you call your 7 step summary of just putting the OSX disc in the drive and using 8 braincells worth of intuition and intelligence to follow the on-screen instructions as “every single detail of installing OSX on a blah”… tsk

132. D.J. said on September 30th, 2007 at 10:25 pm :

Hello, I have been looking around on some p2p Networks, I was just wondering how big should the download be so I dont download the wrong one. And could anyone point me To one That actually works. Thank You.

133. A.M. said on October 4th, 2007 at 2:07 am :

Does this only work on dual-core pc’s? I checked with cpuz and I do have ss3 support and even one beyond ss3. I tried it on an HP zd8333cl laptop. It installed fine but no boot, tried to make the boot drive active, no boot, i’ve tried to do everything I see mentioned in this forum, but its a no go.
    The only thing I don’t see being discussed is if the pc needs to have a dual-core processor.

thanks

134. killuh751 said on January 4th, 2008 at 2:09 pm :

I just tried to install the Jas 10.4.8 AMD Intel sse2 sse3 beta v2 dvd on my system
    AMD Semphron 3000+ (sse2 and sse3 are available on this chip as per cpuid program)
    GA -k8vm800m mobo
    512mb ram
    250mb ATI Radeon 9550

The installation goes ok but when i reboot, the darwin bootloader goes through it’s motions but then my screen just goes blank. i noticed that during the install it said to press F8 the type in -v -s and at the next prompt ./patcher 10.4.8.AMD.CPUID.txt
    i have done this and it just says that the file or command does not exist.
    I’m stumped!!! Tried to install this 5 times now, it’s getting a bit frustrating. But patience is a virtue! lol

any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated.

135. killuh751 said on January 4th, 2008 at 3:32 pm :

hi again
    please disregard the previous post
    i changed hard drives and the install was a success!

now i just have to get used to it, i haven’t used a mac since high school (199something! lol)
    Be good to see if i can get some apps from somwhere, garageband would be great. but i’ll look into that.

i would like to thank mike for his 1 partition hint.

Anyway people , thank you very much for your assistance , this is a great forum.

Thanks